Thursday, July 30, 2015

The Day I Decided to be Cheap

Hello All!

I have decided to write about my wonderful experience of trying to save our little family money. Our apartment complex here in Ogden is fairly old. There are not many new apartments in this area and the new ones are way more expensive than a young married college couple can afford. So our plumbing and drains are not the best quality and every three months the sinks get clogged and we have to go to the store and waste money on something that unclogs the sink. Well this time I was sick of spending $5-$10 on Drain-O or some other brand. I looked up a few ways on Pinterest of how to unclog sinks in a cheaper way and finding good reviews, I bought baking soda and vinegar instead Drain-O. 

I got home and was all pumped to finally have a bathroom sink that drains and I saved money doing it and I had enough supplies to last me a year of unclogging the sink. I looked up the exact way of how to use the ingredients together and how to put them in my sink to get the optimum results. I followed the instructions step by step. I let it sit, then I poured hot water into the sink to get everything down like the directions said. It wasn't draining at all now. Not one bit. So I left it alone for 30 minutes to see if maybe it was but just super slow. I came back and it was still full of hot water. So I thought I did something wrong. I immediately called my parents house to ask my mom what her secret was, because she told me how great it worked. I called and my dad informed me that she got home from work at about 9 a.m, and so I asked him, and he told me to plunge it. I was thinking huh weird. Sounds odd, but I figured I would give it a try. 

I go back into the bathroom, determined to have a sink that drains. I grab our plunger and stick it in the sink and push down as hard as I can..... Now if your sink is clogged, apparently water goes up into the draining holes. 

I pushed down and the most disgusting black goopy water came shooting out of those draining holes. It literally got all over me, our sink, our mirror and the floor. I wanted to die. It was so gross and smelled terrible... and I was covered in it. I was so shocked I literally sat there for a good 30 seconds wondering what the heck to do.I am so glad my mouth was closed then I pushed down on that plunger. Thankfully I had moved our toothbrushes and my hair brush into another room. I grabbed everything off of the sink, gagging as I was going, and threw it into the shower, turned on scalding hot water, and washed everything off. Then I got to work on myself. Then I finally cleaned the bathroom up. 

My sink is still clogged and I am waiting for Abraham to get home so that we can go to the store together because I have already been there once today. I learned my lesson. I am never going the cheap route again. I love those chemicals that unclog my sink. They are worth the money. And I love showers and soap.

Amanda

2 comments:

  1. Cheap isn’t always sturdy, and most times, the more expensive ways are a better solution that could benefit you in the long run. Anyway, it’s good to know that you’ve learned something here, and I’m pretty sure things will go smoothly for you know. Have a great day!


    Traci Romero @ Harris Plumbing Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just have to spend a bit more money for times like this. It is among the wisest investments that you will ever make. You are going to need for the sink to drain. Get a plumber to fix it, simple as that. Spare yourself from further and unnecessary inconvenience. Good luck!

    Roxanne Vaughn @ Total PLBG

    ReplyDelete